Viagra india Want to know how to make one of those furry monster puppets? (Well, viagra india or any similar puppets that’s not furry?) In this post, viagra india I am going to show you how to make Mac and Cheese, viagra india the puppet that you’ve seen in every podcast episode on this site so far. Viagra india This is what he looks like: (By the way, viagra india if you are looking for how to make Mac and Cheese the recipe, viagra india click here.)
For the most part, viagra india I followed this video by puppeteer/puppet builder Paul Louis, viagra india but I’ve also made a few variations on my own based on what’s available to me at the time. Viagra india For example, viagra india he used both glue gun and contact cement for gluing, viagra india and I used only my hot glue gun. Viagra india He used foam to stuff the puppet’s head and I didn’t feel like using it. Viagra india He used untangled wire hangers for arm rods while I just bought bamboo skewers from the supermarket across the street. Viagra india So yeah, viagra india you should feel free to experiment with different materials too. Viagra india Here’s a list of materials used by Paul Louis to make his puppet in the video, viagra india and the materials I used to make Mac and Cheese:
||Mac and Cheese
|Mouth board (interior)
||tissue paper box
|Mouth board (exterior)
||self-adhesive felt dots
||drawn in with a marker
||ain’t got one
||bag of polyfill
||ain’t got any
||Needle and thread
||contact cement and hot glue
||hot glue only
Now here are the steps. Viagra india The numbers on the pictures correspond to the steps. Viagra india Please click on them to see the details. Viagra india I had to use thumbnails here, viagra india or the article will appear way too long. Viagra india Also, viagra india keep in mind that Mac and Cheese was the first of this type of puppet I built so it’s a prototype and I did make mistakes along the way that I would also point out.
1. Viagra india Draw out a pattern: Draw a head and a body. Viagra india (If you are wondering why I sort of traced my palm and fingers in the face part, viagra india it’s because it’s a good measurement for how big that circle should be. Viagra india If you’ve ever asked other people or been asked the trick question “Is your hand bigger than your face?”, viagra india you know.)
2. Viagra india Cut out the pattern: You will have an easier time tracing it onto the fabric that way.
3. Viagra india Trace the pattern onto the folded fabric: I used a permanent marker. Viagra india There are fabric markers that you can buy at fabric/craft stores as well. Viagra india If a regular pen works for you, viagra india go ahead and use that too. Viagra india Notice that the fabric has to be folded, viagra india so you can sew the two layers together.
4. Viagra india Sew along the line: In the video he used a sewing machine. Viagra india However, viagra india since I don’t have one, viagra india and this is a prototype I am using to learn every single detail, viagra india I did this part by hand. Viagra india I used back-stitches. Viagra india They are time-consuming but very sturdy.
5. Viagra india Cut around the stitches and flip it inside out: Be careful not to cut the actual stitches. Viagra india It’s fine to leave some fabric outside the stitched border since you are flipping it inside out anyway. Viagra india You should now have sort of a bag that you can put your hand in.
6. Viagra india Cut a slit across the head/face part: Along the middle line is probably the best to allow the most mouth movement and flexibilities. Viagra india If you cut this slit too high or too low, viagra india you will have difficulties opening and closing the mouth.
7. Viagra india Make a mouth board using cardboard and fabric: In the video, viagra india a juice carton was used. Viagra india I used a tissue paper box. Viagra india I’ve also used other boxes on other puppets so any cardboard would do. Viagra india Make sure you fold it in the middle so it’s like a mouth. Viagra india Next, viagra india cover it with a piece of black fabric (felt, viagra india T-shirt, viagra india or even sheet foam) and glue the cardboard and the fabric together. Viagra india In the video, viagra india contact cement was used, viagra india but I just used my trusty glue gun. Viagra india Cut the fabric according to the shape of the cardboard and now the mouth board is done.
8. Viagra india Stick the mouth board into the slit and glue them together around the edge: For the mouth and slit to fit each other, viagra india the diameter of the mouth board should be approximately 2/3 of the length of the slit. Viagra india Of course, viagra india that’s only an estimate. Viagra india You should probably try to stick the cardboard into the slit before you glue on the fabric, viagra india because then you can go back and make more changes to the cardboard to find the ideal size and shape.
9. Viagra india Make a little bag and stuff it with polyfill. Viagra india Slide into the puppet’s head above the mouth board. Viagra india In the video, viagra india foam was used. Viagra india Since I don’t have foam, viagra india I made a bag by folding a piece of fabric over and gluing the edges. Viagra india I then put the polyfill in from the opening and just fold over the extra fabrics at the opening. Viagra india I didn’t seal it because I might want to adjust the shape and size again later. Viagra india Slide this bag into the head above the mouth board. Viagra india Don’t worry, viagra india it won’t fall out because the mouth board is there. Viagra india Squeeze things around to get the head shape you want. Viagra india If it’s too much or too little stuffing, viagra india take the bag out again to adjust the amount of polyfill in there.
10. Viagra india Make the arms: Like the body, viagra india it’s just a piece of fabric folded over, viagra india sewn together, viagra india cut out, viagra india and flipping over. Viagra india Stuff the arms with polyfill. Viagra india Note that I really should put the arm rods in first (steps 11 and 12) but since this was my prototype, viagra india I didn’t do that right. Viagra india Actually, viagra india it depends. Viagra india If your rod is installed into the palm, viagra india you should put in the rod before you stuff the arm. Viagra india However, viagra india if the rod is installed on the outside, viagra india you should install the rods later. Viagra india Stuffing the arms give the arms some shape, viagra india but don’t stuff too much because you still want the arms to be flexible. Viagra india Squeeze the middle part and then bend it back and forth a few times. Viagra india This pushes the polyfill to either the upper or lower arm, viagra india hence creating a two part arm with a joint in between.
11. Viagra india Make arm rods: I used the sharp end of the skewer to penetrate the middle zigzag layer of the cardboard (but not all the way through). Viagra india Pull the skewer out, viagra india put some glue on the tip and insert it again. Viagra india This time the cardboard and skewer will stick together.
12. Viagra india Open up the wrist to stick the arm rod in: I cut open the puppet’s wrist to put in the arm rod made from a bamboo skewer. Viagra india The skewer should come out the bottom of the palm. Viagra india The cardboard will make sure the arm rod is fixed in place. Viagra india Close up the wrist again. Viagra india Note that if I had done this in the right order, viagra india I would’ve installed the rod before I stuffed the arm. Viagra india If I did that, viagra india then I didn’t need to open up the wrist again.
13. Viagra india Glue on the eyes and arms: In the video he used ping-pong balls, viagra india which created more 3-D eyes. Viagra india I didn’t have ping-pong balls at the moment, viagra india and I wanted to see what it would be like if I just drew eyes on an index card and cut them out. Viagra india So I did that and glued the eyes to the head. Viagra india The arms can be glued on or sewn on. Viagra india I tried to glue and then sew, viagra india but it’s mostly glued because later I realized that it’s very hard to sew through that layer of glue with the needles I have. Viagra india So they were just glued on and I’ve been puppeteering it for a while now and it didn’t seem to be falling off… that’s a good thing. Viagra india By this step, viagra india the puppet is pretty much done.
14. Viagra india Glue the tongue into the mouth: That red tongue is made from a piece of felt. Viagra india You would have used something else or just skip this step. Viagra india (For example, viagra india Bottle Monster doesn’t have a tongue like this.)
Viagra india So there you go. Viagra india That’s how you make Mac and Cheese. Viagra india I hope this article is helpful if you are trying to build your own puppet at home. Viagra india
Average Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 187 user reviews.