Warning: include_once(/home/yotangy/puppetkaos.com/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-support/wordpress-support.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/yotangy/puppetkaos.com/wp-settings.php on line 267

Warning: include_once(): Failed opening '/home/yotangy/puppetkaos.com/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-support/wordpress-support.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php:/usr/local/php5/lib/pear') in /home/yotangy/puppetkaos.com/wp-settings.php on line 267
New Video! (With New Puppets!) « Puppet Kaos - where Kelvin Kao plays with puppets and tell random stories

New Video! (With New Puppets!)

And… here’s the new video! I built four new puppets for this project, so together with the old ones, there are 8 total in this video. This is a music video that I made in January to enter the Brad Paisley’s “Start A Band” green screen contest (which I didn’t win, but whatever, enjoy! :-) )

If you can’t see the embedded video, click here to see it on YouTube.

The premise of the contest was that they provided the green screen footages of Brad Paisley singing the song, and you can use the footages in your video any way you like. I was glad that I participated, because I’ve always wanted to try these things:

1. make a music video
  2. purchase and learn to use a sewing machine
  3. build more new puppets
  4. build puppets that are humans (as opposed to “monsters” and animals)
  5. build puppets that have shoulders made out of foam and cloth them
  6. build puppets with hair made out of yarn
  7. try out new lighting set-up
  8. enter a contest
  9. overlay several different green screen shots

And somehow making this video has all those elements! Of course, that’s also because I consciously attempt to try out a new technique every time I make a new video, but so many of them at once? That hasn’t happened before. So yeah, it was definitely a good experience. And I hope you all have as much fun watching it as I have making it!

Comments

1. February 24th, 2009 | 12:58 am

Hi Kelvin – I LOVE your video. What an accomplishment for someone who never made a video before. Your did great. I especially like how you have Brad Paisley and all of the puppets singing together, and the part where the puppet has the guitar on his nose is hilarious. Thank you for sharing.

Barbara Swafford’s last blog post..Is Blogging A Hobby, A Time Suck, Or…

2. February 24th, 2009 | 1:07 am

Thanks, Barbara. I believe that’s a typo for “never made a music video” before, since I have made many videos already. Still though, I try to do something new in every video. :-)

3. February 24th, 2009 | 2:07 pm

You did a great job on this! It must have been a lot of work. You should be proud of yourself 😉

Melissa Donovan’s last blog post..Homophones: Its vs. It’s

4. February 24th, 2009 | 2:35 pm

Nice work!

Vered – MomGrind’s last blog post..Antibacterial Products Are Dangerous. PLEASE Stop Using Them.

5. February 24th, 2009 | 6:30 pm

@Melissa: Yeah, it was quite some work. I was actually planning to put in even more work but had to wrap it up before the deadline. I like the way it turned out. (Btw, not sure why your comment was caught in the filter earlier. I’ve now unblocked it.)

@Vered: Thank you. :-)

6. March 7th, 2009 | 7:00 pm

Very cute!!!

You’re saying that you have made all of these puppets with NO SEWING MACHINE??? Wow. I can’t even imagine what you’ll be capable of once you have one.

7. March 10th, 2009 | 1:08 pm

Actually, they are all different.

Mac and Cheese was indeed done without a machine. It was a prototype, and I decided that it would be entirely hand-sewn. I wanted to see how long it would take. It took quite a few hours, and I decided, I would never finish those in time for the show if I did that for every puppet.

Bottle Monster, Bobby and Moostifer were sewn with the help of my good friend Janet and her sewing machine. She let me do a few straight edges for practice, but when it came to the parts that needed the machine, it was still mostly her.

The four new puppets are made with my newly purchased sewing machine. I will write about that soon.

March 13th, 2009 | 5:29 am

I know I’m behind the eight ball, but I finally got to see the video. It was really good! Did you have other people helping you? Cause all of the puppets together looked great, and if it was just you, tell me how you did it! I love the cow, especially when you balanced the guitar on its nose – how did you do that? Just trickery with angles or what? :)

9. March 13th, 2009 | 5:02 pm

You know, I’ve never heard of the phrase “behind the eight ball”, so I had to look it up. Now I know what it means, hehe.

It was just me. Just film five different puppets separately, and then green screen composite them all together. So yeah, it’s possible (in fact, easier) for one person to do, because if I had five puppets filmed at the same time, the backdrop would have to be much bigger.

The guitar balancing on nose (not that the puppet has a nose) is actually pretty simple. Just grab the bottom of the guitar that’s out of the frame with the hand that’s not puppeteering. Really old and effective trick. :-)

10. April 14th, 2009 | 1:11 am

[…] Brad Paisley: Start A Band […]

11. January 1st, 2010 | 3:20 am

[…] Brad Paisley: Start A Band […]

12. January 21st, 2010 | 5:05 pm

LOL!

LOVE it!!

Maybe the monster could nuzzle on Brad’s ear a bit? :)
    I’d love to learn to do creative video-editing too!

You’re really inspiring!!

Layla’s last blog post..Happy Eco New Year 2010!

13. January 22nd, 2010 | 3:47 am