Voiceover Gig

So I just did the voiceover gig. It was fun for me. In fact, recording has always been fun for me. I remember recording myself (and the others) using audio tapes when I was little. That was fun. Recording in my voiceover classes and recording myself on my own computer is fun too. (Listening to myself isn’t as fun but the recording part is fun at least, hehe.)

When I arrived at the studio (early), the voice talent recording before me was just wrapping up. He was recording the same safety instructions, except in Japanese. After that, I went into the recording booth and the recording engineer Nick started setting up for me. We also talked briefly with the client on a conference call, since she wasn’t physically there. And then we started recording by reading each line several times (about five times, I think). After I did all the lines, I got out of the booth and started helping Nick pick out which takes to keep.

Since he didn’t speak Chinese, I gave more opinions on which takes to keep than I normally would. Sometimes we just picked one, and sometimes we couldn’t decide so we picked two and had the client choose it over the phone. While listening to one of the takes, I said to Nick, “Um, not that one, it was a little rushed.” And right after I said that, I heard on the recording myself saying “that wasn’t a good one, it was a little rushed.” I was amused by that. Apparently I agreed with myself from about 20 minutes ago.

I am not sure what it is, but every audio/recording engineer I’ve met, whether during auditions, classes, or this time, is quite laid-back. I don’t know why they all have this very relaxed attitude, but at the same time they are very on top of their tasks as well. When I told him it was a pleasure working with him at the end of the night, I really meant it.

So that concluded my first (and hopefully not last) paid voiceover gig. Yay! 😀

Comments

1. April 29th, 2009 | 12:12 pm

That sounds like a lot of fun! I went into a studio once, many years ago, and recorded the vocals on a music demo. It was a blast. Live performance – another thing entirely 😉

Melissa Donovan’s last blog post..What? You Thought Poetry Writing Was Easy?

2. April 29th, 2009 | 3:03 pm

You are a singer? Now that’s one side of you that I did not know about!

3. April 29th, 2009 | 11:15 pm

This is so cool. And I think it’s hilarious that your future self agreed with your past self.

rubialala’s last blog post..The Magic Number

4. April 30th, 2009 | 12:14 am

I guess I don’t change my mind often… not that fast, at least. 😀

5. April 30th, 2009 | 7:25 pm

I just still can’t get over that you are a BUS VOICE!! Who knows how many people will hear your voice every day? By the time the recording is gone, more people will have probably heard your voice than that of an actor in a popular movie. 😀

I have noticed the same thing about recording people. Perhaps it is because they frequently deal with temperamental artists?

6. May 1st, 2009 | 1:18 am

Haha, I doubt that they will play bus safety instructions on that many buses, but I shall pay attention if I am ever on a bus that goes to Chinatown.

I don’t know why recording engineers are all so cool. I haven’t met one that’s not.

7. May 1st, 2009 | 12:22 pm

No! I’m not a singer. I used to be interested in singing, many years ago. It’s been a long time…

Melissa Donovan’s last blog post..Questions, Curiosity, and Writing Ideas

May 5th, 2009 | 9:11 pm

I’m a bit late to the game, but congrats! Glad it all went well, and hope you get more voiceover gigs!

9. May 6th, 2009 | 12:24 am

@Melissa: A dream like that never truly dies. 😉

@Na: And happy birthday to your website!

10. May 29th, 2009 | 1:34 am

[…] I’ve talked about the voiceover gig, Huell Howser, Spring Sing, 1000 tweets, and Star Trek. But somehow I haven’t talked about […]