Star Trek (and btw, two years)

On Thursday night, I went to watch Star Trek. It wasn’t what I expected it to be, but I ended up liking the movie a lot.

Now, I am not a Trekkie (or Trekkie Monster). I haven’t watched any of the series, and I haven’t seen the trailer. I went into the theater without any real expectations. I was guessing that it’s going to be a sci-fi movie with shallow stereotypical characters and a half-hour long battle scene with spaceships shooting lasers at each other causing lots of computer generated explosions.

Well, I was wrong.

The movie turned out to be quite character-driven, with the focus on the two main characters Kirk and Spock. It was all about why the characters are they way they are and how they deal with and overcome all these situations. The computer animations are there, but they are just there to help tell the story instead of steal the whole focus. It was well-written, and the characterizations are good. I guess I was expecting shallow characters and long sequences of fancy animation for the sake of showing off animations because of what I saw in the new Star Wars trilogy. I think this movie is worth watching again even if not on a big screen, because it’s all about the story, and not just about visual and audio bombardment.

Oh, and I heard that there were lots of references to previous Star Trek movies and TV series. I am not a Trekkie, so of course I didn’t catch any of the references. However, I love it when TV or films have these subtle nods and nudge-nudge-wink-winks because it’s rewarding for the loyal fans.

It was not what I expected, but I think I wouldn’t have liked it as much if it was what I expected.

Oh, and by the way, Thursday was also the two year anniversary of this blog. Two years, hmm. Two years ago, this post, though nothing special, marked the first time of me posting on this blog. Maybe this calls for a celebration? But I kinda feel like I would rather celebrate when there’s something that’s more worth celebrating, haha.

Comments

1. RubiaLala
    May 18th, 2009 | 10:57 am

Two years IS worth a celebration. Congratulations!

I will not be referring The Man to this post due to what he would take as a SERIOUS STAR WARS SLAM haha. “I was expecting shallow characters and long sequences of fancy animation for the sake of showing off animations because of what I saw in the new Star Wars trilogy.” I think that’s hilarious though.

Total agreement with you on the nods and nudge-winks, it’s like an inside joke for all the fans, I really love that.

Thanks for the review, I will now think about watching the movie, whereas I never before would have considered it.

2. May 18th, 2009 | 2:44 pm

Of course, I don’t deny that it’s fun to watch explosions on a huge screen. And we watched the last Star Wars at 1am (cuz 10pm was sold out) and left at 4am. That was a fun one for me too, but it was certainly more about visual effects and battle scenes than story.

Besides, you don’t need a well-written movie to have fun. One of my favorite movie experience was watching Snakes on a Plane on the opening weekend with a college crowd. Man, that was fun. :-)

May 19th, 2009 | 2:31 am

Congrats on the site’s birthday!

4. May 19th, 2009 | 11:57 am

Happy birthday to yours too!

5. May 25th, 2009 | 1:01 pm

Two years is definitely worth celebrating! Congratulations!

I’ve never seen any Star Trek either, but I will probably watch this movie when it hits DVD. I keep hearing about Captain Kirk and the actor who portrays him, so I’m surprised to hear that the story focuses on Spock too. Spock, of course, is portrayed by one of the actors from the cast of Heroes (my favorite show) and I’ve been a bit disappointed that he hasn’t received as much attention as the other guy.

Melissa Donovan’s last blog post..Interview Announcement

6. May 28th, 2009 | 4:51 pm

Happy anniversary!

Thanks for the review. I wasn’t going to see it, but I really enjoy character driven movies, so now I probably will.

7. May 29th, 2009 | 1:21 am

@Melissa Donovan: I’d say they are both really important, but of course, given the personalities of Kirk and Spock, it was no surprise that Kirk would get more attention.

@Michelle: Hope I didn’t hype up the expectations too much, hehe.

8. June 11th, 2009 | 1:54 pm

I enjoyed Star Trek.

Congrats on the two-year anniversary!

Vered – MomGrind’s last blog post..10 Ways To Hate Yourself As A Woman