TV Puppetry Workshop: Week 4

Today, we worked on voices a little bit. We stood in a circle, came up with random voices, and imitated each other’s voices. Somehow this group of people were quite good at it. I was impressed with how much people could mimic one another, especially when the two were of different genders.

We also learned to work with puppets that have gloves instead of rods for hands. The puppet was a lot bigger than the ones we’ve been working with, and each puppet took two people to control. I didn’t know we had to balance fabric on our head at times to hide the puppeteers and to make the puppet shape look better. And also it was fun to watch / figure out how two puppeteers could work together, sometimes in weird angles to get things done. When it clicked, it was a delight to watch.

We also did the telling a story thing. It was taped. Today, somehow I couldn’t really get into a groove. I thought it was on and off throughout the whole class. Sometimes I could focus on the performance and sometimes not. But when I watched the video of my exercise, I thought I did okay. It was not superb, but it wasn’t as boring as I thought either. I think the reason was that when I was performing, the monitor was giving me constant feedbacks. If something did not go according to what I had in mind, I knew that immediately. Sometimes I could fix that on the spot, but sometimes not. However, when I was watching the playback, I mostly only noticed what I did manage to do, and not so much the parts that I wasn’t able to get done. It was interesting to get that perspective.

It’s been fun. Two more classes left… that I have paid for. I think I am definitely going to sign up for the intermediate class someday. I haven’t yet decided whether I’ll take it right after this course, or wait till the next time it was offered. Will need to decide soon.

Related Posts:
TV Puppetry Workshop: Week 1
TV Puppetry Workshop: Week 2
TV Puppetry Workshop: Week 3

Comments

1. September 29th, 2009 | 8:19 am

How exciting! I may not be a puppeteer but I love mimicking sounds, I can do quite a lot. So do accents,. The drunker I am, the crazier the accents can be.

andhari’s last blog post..I make it short because I haven’t slept…

2. October 1st, 2009 | 2:12 am

Accents are fun. I do it even though I am not good at it (or drunk). And we talk to each other at work in accents for no good reason.

3. October 1st, 2009 | 4:32 pm

Sounds like you had an off day, but that’s alright. Just stick with it! Voices do sound fun. Whenever I watch movies or TV shows where the characters have heavy accents, I find they rub off on me and I start thinking with an accent. Oh, the voices in my head!

Melissa Donovan’s last blog post..October News and Announcements

4. October 1st, 2009 | 11:32 pm

Oh! I don’t know if this happens to you, but sometimes when I read lecture notes, in my mind it’s in the accent of the professor that teaches the class. For example, if I was studying chemistry, I would hear the notes in British accent. If I was studying digital circuits, I would hear Italian accent. If I was studying CPU design, I would hear Chinese accent, where “holding” becomes “herding”.

5. October 2nd, 2009 | 6:48 pm

Well, I did have one English professor who had an East Indian accent, but I can’t remember if I read my notes with his accent in my head. It’s likely, though :)

Melissa Donovan’s last blog post..October News and Announcements

6. October 2nd, 2009 | 8:01 pm

Getting immediate feedback like that would probably throw me way off, at least until I got used to it. It sounds like you are really becoming an expert in this field!

7. October 4th, 2009 | 1:55 am

Well, it DID throw me off (especially in the beginning, because left is right, and right is left). It’s good for learning though. Sometimes, there’s quite a fine line between being self-aware and self-conscious.

Expert? Not really, hehe. (Not yet, anyway.) 😉

8. November 9th, 2009 | 3:31 am

[…] Week 1 TV Puppetry Workshop (Beginning): Week 2 TV Puppetry Workshop (Beginning): Week 3 TV Puppetry Workshop (Beginning): Week 4 TV Puppetry Workshop (Beginning): Weeks 5,6 Bookmark […]

9. August 12th, 2015 | 8:53 pm

Very cool! Reminds me a bit of stop-motion animation. I just reveewid The Miracle Maker on Blu-ray and the movements are similar. But I love that these are puppets. It’s shot beautifully.Thanks for posting.