Puppetry Classes

TV Puppetry Workshop With Michael Earl (U.S.)

Date: Six Saturday mornings starting November 14, 2009
Location: Los Angeles, California (More specifically, Sherman Oaks, which is right next to North Hollywood)

This is the class that I’ve been writing about for the last few weeks. Michael Earl is an Emmy-award winning puppeteer/writer that had worked on Muppets, Sesame Street and numerous other projects. He has been puppeteering for 31 years now, and of course, that’s lots of experience and knowledge on this topic. The beginning class will run for six Saturday mornings starting November 14th (this weekend). The class is for Muppet-type puppets. You will be taught to perform for the camera, while the monitors give you instant feedback on what the performance looks like. You will first learn the basics, like how to stand straight and how to walk. You will be taught different exercices for different aspects of the performance. You will lip-sync and dance to songs. And you will also do some improv. Very fun class. Everyone learned a lot. If you are interested in puppetry and are in the area, I highly recommend this class. For more information, check out the website at http://www.puppetschool.com.

P.S. In addition to the Los Angeles workshops, Michael Earl will also be doing a whole-day workshop (10am-5pm) on January 8, 2010 in New York City. Info about that workshop is on his website as well.

Puppet-Building with Naomi Guss (Australia)

Date: Six Saturdays starting January 23, 2010
Location: Melbourne, Victoria (More specifically, Northcote)

Want to learn how to build a puppet? Puppet builder Naomi Guss of Puppets in Melbourne will be teaching a puppet-building class in January and February of next year. You will learn to make the head and body (out of foam), cover it (making the skin) and dress it. You will also get your own copy of the pattern. And of course, at the end you can all play with your puppets. This is a class that I would’ve signed up for if I were in the area (but as you can probably tell, I am in Los Angeles), but if you are in that area and interested in puppet-building, take a look at the info on the website regarding the class. Check out http://www.schoolofpuppetry.com.au

Comments

1. November 15th, 2009 | 7:39 pm

LOL Kelvin – I’m betting Britney learned to lip synch at Michael’s classes. I love the muppets. Never been to LA tho – but hoping to visit next year, if I get my visa to go to Canada.

Cath Lawson’s last blog post..Those Little Things Folk Don’t Want To Talk About

2. November 16th, 2009 | 2:21 am

Sunny California would be a nice place to visit when Canada gets too cold for you! πŸ˜€

3. November 26th, 2009 | 9:51 pm

Oh, Kelvin,
    After all of this time you still bring a smile to my face with your puppeteering polapalooza! Thank you for sharing those sites which all sound awesome. You’ve made a believer out of me and were I not on the East Coast, what an amazingly fun trip that would be to take and learn all about your craft.

Rita’s last blog post..That Awful Four-Letter Word That I Won’t Use

4. November 27th, 2009 | 4:15 am

Rita! Good to have you back! πŸ˜€
    I am glad you are blogging again, especially with nobody else controlling your blog.

5. November 29th, 2009 | 6:42 pm

Good to be back. This time I keep it simple and on my own terms. I am, however, flying blind and learning as I go along. I can always count on you to make a believer out of me with your passion for puppeteering. I’m glad that you’re still here, following your dreams.

Rita’s last blog post..When Einstein and Robin Hood Collided – A Fable.

February 3rd, 2010 | 2:27 am

Thanks for the plug! Actually, now I’m wishing I *had* been nearer you… maybe then I wouldn’t have had to cancel :(

7. February 3rd, 2010 | 4:38 am

Well, the cancellation had nothing to do with the location, right? But of course, if you were nearby, I’d made you teach me stuff, of course. Hehe.

February 3rd, 2010 | 5:06 am

No… πŸ˜› I meant that had I been on the other side of the world, maybe I would have been less worried about a certain someone turning up. Given that they are only a state away makes me more nervous.

LOL – and I would have been very glad to have you in the class! (Maybe the upcoming one?)