Watch A Muppets Christmas: Letters To Santa on Hulu

letters_to_santaLast year, the Muppets did a new Christmas TV special called “A Muppets Christmas: Letters to Santa”. I was not able to watch it when it was on, so I tried to tape it. Alas, the VCR failed me. So imagine my delight to see it on Hulu today.

The movie started out with Kermit and other Muppets standing in line at the post office to send out Christmas cards, but then due to a mix-up, the somehow ended up with other people’s mail that’s addressed to Santa in North Pole. By the time they found out, the post office was already closed, so Kermit the Frog, Fozzie Bear, Gonzo the Great, Rizzo the Rat, and Pepe the Prawn did the only thing that made sense to do (in the Muppet world): they decided to go to North Pole themselves to deliver those letters to Santa. Of course, there would be challenges along the way, but let me just spoil the ending for you (since it’s a Christmas special, and with Muppets) by saying that everything worked out in the end.

The movie was really cute. I had a smile on my face throughout the movie. The movie was full of silly puns, which I loved. (I have a love for taking things literally and out of context, which Muppets seems to love doing, a lot.) Somehow the Halle Berry referenced cracked me up. And I also loved Nathan Lane’s “ding ding ding” moment. Besides Kermit, Fozzie, Gonzo, Rizzo, and Pepe, lots of other characters also appeared in the film, such as Miss Piggy, Sam the Eagle, the Swedish Chef, Dr. Bunsen Honeydew, Scooter, Rowlf the Dog, Statler and Waldorf, Animal, Beaker, etc. Guest stars included Nathan Lane, Whoopi Goldberg, Uma Thurman, Jane Krakowski, Mayor Michael Bloomberg, etc. I feel like they were thinking, hey, it’s Christmas. Might as well let everyone make a cameo!

If you would like to see it, here’s the link. Oh, and I also watched A Charlie Brown Christmas (again). Actually, A Charlie Brown Christmas was featured on Hulu’s front page. They have a page for holidays, so I clicked on it to see what else they have. I was looking for Muppet Christmas specials. I actually thought they would have one of the older ones but they had the new one. That worked for me too. 😀 If you want to see more info about the movie and some behind-the-scenes pictures, check out the Muppet Wiki page.

Comments

1. December 13th, 2009 | 5:13 pm

Thank you for this post. I didn’t realize they had holiday specials on Hulu. I’m a big fan of both.

Matt’s last blog post..Lego Advent Calendar 2009 – Dec. 7th – 12th

2. December 13th, 2009 | 6:04 pm

Thanks so much for sharing those links! I just ordered A Charlie Brown Christmas from Netflix, and I think we’ll enjoy the Muppet special. Yea!

3. December 14th, 2009 | 3:09 am

Glad to be sharing the links. :-)
    A Charlie Brown Christmas has always been one of my favorite. Another one that I’ve also watched year after year was Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer (the old stop motion one).

4. December 15th, 2009 | 11:50 am

I don’t know whether to thank you or yell at you for pointing me to hulu. I am having too much fun and spending too much time at the site! What a great surprise! I think I’ll go with “thank you, Kelvin.”

5. December 18th, 2009 | 10:56 am

The Muppets sound like just what I need to get into this whole xmas spirit thing. Oh and did you say “VCR?”

Dugaldo’s last blog post..Library Jitters

6. December 20th, 2009 | 6:50 pm

Dugaldo,
    Thank you. I thought I might have been the only person to have picked up on that. Kelvin – welcome to the 21st Century!

Rita’s last blog post..How to Teach Your Dog to Come

7. December 20th, 2009 | 7:22 pm

@Dugaldo: Yes, I did say VCR. We don’t have a DVR, so that will do. I watch most things on the Internet nowadays, actually, so haven’t really had a need to get one.

@Rita: I know, but the VCR is sitting there gathering dust. Might as well use it!

8. December 20th, 2009 | 8:35 pm

In all honesty, we still have a VCR/DVD outdated combo. Like you, I watch most of the (little TV that I watch) on the computer as well. Now, please tell me: do you also have a record player that uses record albums as opposed to CD’s? Wh have both – and use neither! :-)

Rita’s last blog post..How to Teach Your Dog to Come

9. December 22nd, 2009 | 2:33 am

They don’t sell stand-alone VCRs anymore. If you want VCR, your only option is VCR/DVD combo, and each store would carry at most one model. I do not have a record player, but I did see a bunch of records at a thrift shop last week. I wonder if anyone buys them. I have a boombox from my college days that’s a radio/CD/cassette combo. It’s been sitting in the garage for quite a while now…

February 2nd, 2010 | 1:35 am

I wish Hulu worked for non-Americans. It’s so frustrating to hear about all these new shows coming out and have to wait a couple of years for programmers here to schedule it (and then have the schedule change or the show killed before you’ve had a chance to even see it).

11. February 2nd, 2010 | 2:46 am

Yeah, I do think these copyright limitations from pre-Internet era need to be updated. And really, for the people that like hacking things around, they could’ve just use a proxy server to access Hulu (or find some other illegal downloads outright). Hulu is a big step in keeping up with the time, but it’s still not perfect.

February 3rd, 2010 | 4:36 am

I totally understand why the copyright restrictions are there: it’s mainly that no single company wants to navigate the hundreds of laws in hundreds of countries. But at the same time, internet law is so behind/non-existent, there’s no point. Hulu exists to try and combat/avoid illegal sharing: those not able to see it still pirate stuff, so why not just make it visible to all?