Goodbye 2009, Hello 2010

Probably every blog in the world has a post like this today or yesterday. So how can I not do one? (You know… since I always follow the trend… Yeah, right.)

Year 2009 hasn’t been that great for me and many of my friends, from what I’ve been hearing. The economy was bad, the two parties were fighting in the congress (and everywhere else), and the country was gloomy overall. I was laid off at first, and then brought back the next day to see if we could come up with a product to keep the company going. Before that was finished, we got a client and I started doing iPhone application development. I am making relatively steady income now, but for a span of several months, I had no income. At least things worked out now. November and December was crazy busy but it should get better.

I have no new year resolutions, since I know I don’t tend to keep them. The ones I do get done usually has nothing to do with whether I started doing it at New Year’s time or not. So I am not going to make any new year resolutions here. I do have a few plans in mind. You will know when I put things into gear.

As for puppetry stuff, I only did one video this year. I did, however, finally took a TV puppetry class. It was fun and I learned a lot. I highly recommend it for whoever wants to learn about this stuff. I would also like to put it to use in 2010 and make more videos. Oh, and I got the DVD for the student film that I puppeteered for. Will post footages once I get my editing software problem fixed. Also I saw myself on TV for like a fraction of a second. And I recorded bus safety instructions. Those were some of the random things that happened in 2009.

Many bloggers list their favorite posts for the year. My favorite posts this year are actually not the puppetry posts, but the silly stories that I started posting on this blog. Back in college, I wrote a bunch of comedic scenes that were performed on stage. And now, I am writing more silly stories and posting them on my blog. I simply have a hard time writing stories that has a normal plot line. In fact, I was already writing silly sketches in elementary school. I would write them and give them to my classmates to read during recess. I still have those sketches on my shelf. I can’t help it. Somehow everything I write came out sort of goofy. Maybe it was me. Actually, it was definitely me.

So here are some of my favorite posts from 2009:

The Origin of Slutty Halloween Costumes
Yes, there is an explanation, a historical one. Yes, I made it up. Duh.

Sledgehammer
This is a story about the joy of sledgehammers. I love writing stories that look silly but are kind of meaningful if you try to assign meaning to it.

Play Him Off
This is a story inspired by Keyboard Cat. It’s full of stupid puns. Oh, how I love stupid puns.

Why Old People Take Cruises
Again, I love explaining things and sharing my (strange) insights with you.

Friendster Messages from Quintuplets
This has got to be the kinkiest post on this blog. I mean, how often do I write about sexy quintuplets, right?

Entering Puppet-Design Contest
This was fun. And I am evil. And I would like to thank all that helped out.

On December 31, 2009, I tweeted for the 2000th time. It wasn’t intentional. I just realized that I had 1999 tweets when the year was almost over. I did not know I tweet so much.

And finally, I would like to thank everyone that commented here throughout 2009, especially Melissa, Na, Vered, and Michelle. Can you believe we’ve been visiting each other’s blog for a year (and most likely longer than that)?

Hope 2010 is a good one! 😀

Comments

1. January 1st, 2010 | 3:13 pm

Hi Kelvin! Happy New Year! I’m glad we got to know each other this year, and I’ve greatly enjoyed reading your hilarious short stories and adventures in puppetry. I’m thinking that 2010 will be a good one if we make it a good one. Congrats on your 2000th tweet, by the way. I should try to catch up with you 😉 *slinks off to Twitter*

Melissa Donovan’s last blog post..2009 Milestones and Top Ten Posts

2. January 1st, 2010 | 3:57 pm

Happy New Year! I enjoyed reading the Halloween story again–one of my favorites!

3. January 1st, 2010 | 4:27 pm

Yup, gotta do the New Year post… I did one too. :) Happy New Year!

vered | blogger for hire’s last blog post..MomGrind: Best of 2009

4. January 3rd, 2010 | 1:41 am

@Melissa: Not that 2000 tweets is a meaningful goal…

@Michelle: I am glad that I cranked that one out. I only had about 40 minutes to write!

@Vered: Yes, I know you did. In fact, your post sort of reminded me to write one. Hehe.

Have a good 2010, everyone!

5. January 8th, 2010 | 6:44 am

It sounds like 2009 was a mixed bag for you and I hope that 2010 is much better. Thank you for providing some past posts that I will have to go back and read, given that I was out of the blogospher for over a year. I decided not to do a “New Years Post” because to me that day is just another blip on the calendar. Since Dick Clark stopped looking like a teenager a few years ago, I don’t even watch the ball drop. Heck, I even remember Guy Lombardo (“and His Orchestra”) hosting the New Year’s event (for years) in Times Square. Were you even born then? :-)

Rita’s last blog post..The Dentist, The Mugger, The Bank Robbery

6. January 9th, 2010 | 3:25 am

Yeah, I didn’t watch the ball drop either. In fact, I haven’t for many years. And when I did, I felt kind of strange because I was aware that this was taped three hours earlier. I think it would be a lot more exciting if I were there watching it live. Watching it on TV just isn’t particularly exciting.

Besides, this year Dick Clark was hosting it with Ryan Seacrest, someone that I found to be quite annoying.

Actually, if my family happen to be watching TV on New Year’s Eve (including this year), we are often watching Kohaku Uta Gassen, which is a Japanese new year special. The title literally means “Red and White Song Battle” in Japanese. Every New Year’s Eve, NHK (Japan’s public broadcasting service) holds this big music battle and invite the most popular J-Pop and Enka singers to perform. The performers range from veteran singers and young pop stars and cover many different generations. It is strictly by invitation, and appearing on the show is considered a great honor and a milestone in career. We don’t understand Japanese but still find the show entertaining (more entertaining than the other stuff that’s on, anyway). Maybe it’s because we already watch this stuff when we were in Taiwan, and it’s part of our collective memory.

February 2nd, 2010 | 1:20 am

Happy belated 2010!

You and I must be on similar paths in life. I too wrote ‘silly notes’ during school – and showed them to my friends who all thought I was nuts (actually, they thought that beforehand too…). This is where my other puppetry company gets its name ‘Sticky Apple Legs’ from; I wrote the phrase in a silly note during maths class at school

:) Thank you for visiting and enjoying my site/comments!