The Generic Academy-Award-Winning Movie

So, just after I wrote about the formulas in Power Rangers and romantic comedy, I came across this Youtube video about what an Academy-Award-winning movie trailer would look like. I like how the trailer includes numerous clichés in not only characterization and storyline, but also cinematography.

I had this idea of writing a play (actually, more of a short sketch since I got the idea when I was writing for college theater) that uses lots of movie clichés. It will have a lot of cheesy characters and plot, and it will be titled “Cheese”. It will start out with a scene where a guy and a girl first meet and fall in love (of course). The two will find each other to be not quite someone they were looking for, but somehow strangely attractive (like what I said in my last post, and what they had in that video). Since there needs to be something, an item, an object, a symbol that joins them together in the first encounter and for the rest of their lives, I will invent some sort of dish for it, which, of course, uses lots of cheese. There will be a cheesy family dinner scene, complete with the typical awkward dinner conversations when one person meets the family of the significant other. Later the guy and the girl will, of course, break up for some cheesy reason, but of course, they will realize that they are the one and only for each other. They will have a teary-eyed reunion over, of course, the cheese dish. And they will be explicitly stating the moral of the story, while awkwardly working in the title of the story.

Of course, the moral of the story will be: We know this is cheesy, but why do we still love it so much? It’s just cheese! Nothing you’ve never had before! But I guess, no matter how cheesy it is, we still eat it up.

Unfortunately, while I had this basic structure, I never came up with details that I liked enough (in terms of character and plot), so I never wrote it. If you want to write it, feel free to take it as your writing prompt and run with it. I shall look forward to reading it someday. 😀

Comments

1. April 30th, 2010 | 9:05 pm

I laughed so hard when you posted this video on Facebook.

I have so many ideas for things, but I don’t want to write them, either. I enjoy parodies.

Katrina’s last blog post..How to Get Over That Jerk Who Broke Your Heart in 10 Days

2. May 1st, 2010 | 2:00 am

I would actually write this one if I could flush out the details more, but it’s one of those ideas that I just sort of put aside. For now it’s just another under-developed concept. But you never know. I once use an idea that I put away for many years and wrote a script out of it.

3. May 3rd, 2010 | 12:12 pm

Ha! I love your idea of using cheese dishes throughout the play to underline the cheesy aspect of the story! Hilarious!

Melissa Donovan’s last blog post..Pantoum Poetry Writing Exercises

4. May 3rd, 2010 | 8:44 pm

I am not known for being subtle. 😀

May 7th, 2010 | 12:27 am

Isn’t this what they do with the halloween teen movies (I forget the names, ‘Scary Movie’, or something like that)? This would so fit in perfectly – it would be a big hit! I like your idea of using the cheesy dish as well. :)

6. May 7th, 2010 | 5:46 pm

Well, those parody movies (Scary Movie, Date Movie, Epic Movie, etc.) did make fun of the clichés. They make fun of specific movies rather than just the generic ideas, though. Since they parody the most current movies, the plot lines are usually a bunch of scattered items scattered together and are not that well written. For Scary Movie, I watched all four, but I think only the third one is good.

On the other hand, I like the old spoof movies with Leslie Nielsen. Movies like Airplane! and Spy Hard are pretty funny to me.

May 8th, 2010 | 3:13 am

Ah you see, this is what I get for commenting about movies I’ve never seen (not being particularly fond of those parody movies). Although I agree with the old spoof movies – I love the Robin Hood, Men in Tights one, and there was one about dracula that I can’t recall (with Martin Short). Leslie Neilsen ones were always a bit weird to me.

8. May 8th, 2010 | 10:40 am

So you like Mel Brooks ones, eh? Yeah, I like the Robin Hood ones too. I used to watch it in Taiwan (with Chinese subtitles).

May 9th, 2010 | 10:14 pm

Oh yes, I always manage to forget that they’re done by Mel Brooks. (It took me years to put the connection together with Get Smart, I don’t know why….)