Warning: include_once(/home/yotangy/puppetkaos.com/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-support/wordpress-support.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/yotangy/puppetkaos.com/wp-settings.php on line 268

Warning: include_once(): Failed opening '/home/yotangy/puppetkaos.com/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-support/wordpress-support.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php:/usr/local/php5/lib/pear') in /home/yotangy/puppetkaos.com/wp-settings.php on line 268
New Business Cards « Puppet Kaos - where Kelvin Kao plays with puppets and tell random stories

New Business Cards

One thing that I’ve really procrastinated on was making business cards. Part of that was the fact that I usually work with a project manager, hence not meeting clients directly all that often. The other part of that was, of course, plain laziness. However, I was going to attend an iPhone developer meetup (which went well, btw), so I thought I should have at least have some kind of business card ready.

So I went to Staples to get some blank business cards and markers. (I also realized that there was a strip club right across from Staples. Interesting. This was less than a mile from where I live and I have been driving by this area every day for the past year and never noticed it, but that’s another story.) There were some that were more formal, CEO-looking, with gold frames and everything, but I felt like that was not quite me. So instead I went with this one that was sky blue with clouds on it.

And there was a sky/cloud background. So I thought, why not draw something sky-related on it? Might as well, right? So here’s the outcome. (Click on the picture to see it bigger.)

As you can see, I started out just drawing the sun. Then some birds. And then I got bored and wanted to draw something more elaborate. What else had a sky background? Super Mario Brothers, of course! (Perhaps I thought of that because I just recently watched the Video Games Live concert on TV. It was pretty awesome, btw.)

What else was in the sky? Superman, airplanes, and Space Invaders! Of course there were also balloons. I love balloons.

Of course, after several of these, I sort of ran out of stuff that made sense. So we got Pac Man trying to eat the sun, and bad puns like “pi in the sky” and “cloud computing”. And someone (very xkcd-looking) standing on a ladder (not quite a staircase to heaven). And finally, the really ambitious Duck Hunt. These ended up taking up too much space though, but I did have fun drawing them.

And there was a moment after I finished them that I just felt like I no longer wanted to part with these drawings. But hey, I was happy to share them when I was actually giving them out.

Who knows? Maybe I’ll just keep making business cards this way.

Comments

1. August 19th, 2010 | 2:25 am

[…] fun making them. Hopefully it’s not too unprofessional. You can see pictures of all the cards here. This entry was posted in Events. Bookmark the permalink. ← The Various iPhone Keyboard […]

2. August 19th, 2010 | 4:20 am

Those are very original in the design, and if they are made by hand one by one, then they are collectibles…maybe you can mention that to the customers and give them withh it an extra reason to come back soon (so they can keep adding more Kelvin Kao’s business cards to their collections)

Hey, who knows, maybe some day these cards would be worth a fortune :)

Alien Ghost’s last blog post..Master of Your Own Universe

3. August 19th, 2010 | 11:58 am

I think anyone would be delighted to get one of these cards. They are very cute. I can’t believe you got so much into the card and yet, it’s still readable. You should make these a series and then print them. You could mix them up in your card carrier and then as you hand your cards out to new clients, each one would get a Kelvin creation:~)

Sara’s last blog post..Schindler’s Choice

4. August 19th, 2010 | 3:03 pm

@Raul: Hah, what? But they are supposed to each have just one card and hold on to it! 😀

Sara: Most cards actually have a lot of blank spaces. I just sort of filled them up. Yep, I did pull out a whole deck of them and just tell them to pick one they liked. It’s nice in that it can work as a conversation piece as well.

5. August 19th, 2010 | 4:21 pm

I love these! Did it take you a long time to make them? These are definitely a winner. :-)

6. August 19th, 2010 | 4:47 pm

They did take two hours, but most of it was me being distracted by Youtube. For example, I watched this NES re-creation of the 1986 world series.

And then I watched a bunch of Duck Hunt spoofs, because people really want to shoot that dog instead of the ducks. And I also watched a bunch of Video Games Live footages. The time was mostly spent on Youtube.

7. August 19th, 2010 | 9:16 pm

First of all, the Video Games Live footage was BRILLIANT! Marvellous find there, Kelvin. 😀

And what a creative way to go about making up your own business cards! If anyone handed me a card like one of these then I wouldn’t forget them in a hurry. And the Nintendo fanatic in me especially loved your little Mario “homage” on one of your cards in the top photo. Sweet. :)

Tony Single’s last blog post..Silencing the Tom-Toms 2

8. August 19th, 2010 | 11:15 pm

Oh, I actually went to one of the concerts. So this was review. 😀

It’s interesting. Both of the Mario ones went really early. I guess people just love Mario.

9. August 20th, 2010 | 6:05 pm

Very old school and super cool! I love these.

Melissa Donovan’s last blog post..12 Ways to Build Better Writing Skills

10. August 20th, 2010 | 10:09 pm

Yes, sometimes old school ways are nice ways. Glad that you love them. :-)

11. SK
    August 26th, 2010 | 6:51 pm

Cool designs!
    I think it’s great your incorporated Mario Bros into your design.

SK’s last blog post..Lady Death by Di Amorim

12. August 27th, 2010 | 1:31 pm

your hand writing is very neat. I’m jealous. Mine looks like a chicken having a seizure scratched something on a piece of paper. Everyone jokes I should have been a doctor.

I had business cards once. They weren’t nearly as cool as these.

Katrina’s last blog post..When Life Gives You Lemons

13. August 27th, 2010 | 3:06 pm

@SK: Yeah, people seem to like the Mario stuff. My favorite is actually the Duck Hunt one where I got a little too carried away and just fill up the whole card.

@Katrina: Perhaps that’s your true calling!

14. September 5th, 2010 | 11:37 pm

Those are different. Certainly original.

Ps: Strange place for a strip club, but no stranger than here where it is down the road from a school.

Rose’s last blog post..Making diamonds from cremated remains

15. September 6th, 2010 | 12:39 am

Hm, I hope that’s not taken as a metaphor.

16. September 9th, 2010 | 1:44 am

I like how you made each one different. That’s actually a good idea. And I can see why you didn’t want to give them away. They are truly works of art. You may be onto something.

Barbara Swafford’s last blog post..Blog For Sale

17. September 9th, 2010 | 3:45 pm

But now that it’s several weeks removed from the work, I am perfectly fine with giving them away, especially after taking a picture.

18. October 13th, 2010 | 5:55 am

These cards are super awesome and creative. Mario is one of my fav classic game ever!

Justin Dupre’s last blog post..What Do You Want in the Store?

19. October 29th, 2010 | 1:35 am

Mario is definitely iconic! It’s the first video game I’ve seen (according to my mom, since I was way too young to really remember).

20. Naomi
    March 24th, 2014 | 4:53 am

Love them! So much more fun and interesting than dull printed cards.