Where I Have Disappeared To

So I realized that I haven’t posted for a month. Bleh, such neglect! Where have I been, you asked? Well, I’ve been hiding under a rock! Bet you didn’t think of that – ha!

The last few weeks have been brutally busy. I was working on an iPhone/iPad app for a client and I also worked on wrapping up my own pet project after that. And I am pleased to announce that my pet project has been approved and it’s now available in the app store!

Introducing… the Traditional Chinese Input iPad App!

I made this app because it was something that I wanted, but could not find in the app store. At the moment, the iPad only supports the Simplified Chinese keyboard but not the Traditional Chinese keyboard, so as an iOS app developer, how could I not build one? So here it is. It’s also the first app that I have released under my own name, after building apps for clients for two years.

I doubt that I will make that much money from it, since I am pretty sure Apple will eventually support a Traditional Chinese keyboard natively, essentially wiping out the whole market for me. But hey, now I can say that I have my own app out there in the app store. Nice ego boost for me.

To check it out, use the link itms://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chinese-input/id398857305?mt=8 which is supposed to open iTunes, but unfortunately the link doesn’t seem to work on every device. I would say that if you are an iPad user, just go search the app store for “Chinese Input”.

And the other app that I’ve finished was an iPhone/iPad app for an upcoming TV show premiering in early November. I’ll let you know when it hits the market. For now, let’s just say that it’s for a show about animals on a channel that focuses on the nature.

Comments

1. October 29th, 2010 | 6:15 pm

That’s really an incredible accomplishment. I’d think it would be a boost for your resume as well! I’ve missed your posts!

2. October 30th, 2010 | 1:45 am

Yeah, I don’t think I will make that much money from it, but it certainly pads the resume. I will write more now that it’s not crunch time. I promise! 😀

3. November 1st, 2010 | 3:28 am

It’s been some time since your last post, but it seems you are been really busy in a very productive way…congratulations on the accomplishment! As Michelle pointed out, it’ll be a great addition to your resume :) Now we’ll wait for the announcement of the release of the app for the TV show.

Congratulations again!

Alien Ghost’s last blog post..After You Die

4. November 1st, 2010 | 3:50 am

Hey Raul! Yeah, it’s been a while. I haven’t had time to check out your updates, but I glanced and remembered that you hit some kind of milestone too. I shall go back and read through your posts soon, like, all nine of them.

The TV show one was already released (for National Geographic Channel’s “Great Migrations”). I already updated it in my post but you probably read this in an RSS reader that has the old content. 😉

5. November 1st, 2010 | 1:34 pm

Hey Kelvin, that’s really cool! I hope your app is hugely successful! Keep it up :)

Melissa Donovan’s last blog post..How to Choose a Writing Coach

6. November 1st, 2010 | 8:22 pm

I looked for you under every rock.

In my yard.

You weren’t there. But I’ve found you now!

Katrina’s last blog post..Spandex , Stilettos, and Fishnets Do Not A Costume Make

7. November 1st, 2010 | 9:02 pm

Melissa: Although it’s not a huge amount of money, I can now say that I make money in my sleep! 😀

Katrina: See? I told you I was good at this hide and seek stuff.

8. November 4th, 2010 | 2:00 pm

I am so impressed with you:~) You created an App and its bound to be helpful to many people…perhaps Apple will create their own, but for now, it’s all YOU. And even better, it’s something I imagine people will find useful in their communications with each other. Now that’s cool. Not many people can say that. You’ve created a “link” between languages. WOW.

I like the conversation between Melissa and Katrina. It’s kind of nice to think you can money while sleeping!!!

Again, congratulations:~)

Sara’s last blog post..Guard Your Life Basket

9. November 5th, 2010 | 1:00 am

That’s not a conversation. It’s me saying those things to them (individually) but I forgot to type “@”. But now that I looked at it, that does look like a conversation, doesn’t it? That just goes to show you how much of a genius I am, I guess.

You know what I love about riding in cars? Having two people in the car on the phone giving driving directions to (or getting directions from) two other people. Sometimes the two one-sided conversation combine to sound like an actual conversation between the two, though it gets nonsensical at some points.

10. November 17th, 2010 | 2:34 am

Wow, you’re like..a genius. I wish I could make something that cool 😀

I update less lately too, Lookslike both of us got caught up with real life :( boo :(

andhari’s last blog post..1928 Video Shoot (and Single Launching Party)

11. November 17th, 2010 | 2:11 pm

Hah, that just means you are now truly a grown-up.

But keep the creativity alive in you anyway! 😀

November 19th, 2010 | 6:34 am

Congrats! Looks like you’ve been neglecting us all for a good reason 😉

And of course, making me feel behind the times still owning a boring non-iphone. (Hey, to me, a phone is for phone calls… )

13. November 20th, 2010 | 11:02 am

Congratulations! I found your site through Ken Robert/Mildly Creative. I know nothing about apps, but I like your voice, and I will do some exploring on your site…I’ll see if I can find those puppets. =)

Rayme’s last blog post..The Meaning of Color

14. November 22nd, 2010 | 12:21 am

@Naomi: Hey, I still use a dumb phone myself. I am seriously considering getting an iPhone though (and I probably should).

@Rayme: Welcome, Rayme. I like the simplistic design of your site. :-)

November 22nd, 2010 | 12:59 am

So your employers give you an iphone to work with?

I consider getting one on occasion and then remember that I don’t have the money to pay for it. :)

16. November 22nd, 2010 | 6:14 pm

We do have a test device at work. I also use my own iPad for some of the testing.

November 23rd, 2010 | 1:44 am

Ah see, that makes more sense. (Sigh… gadgetry. Walk into my dad’s work space and you trip over about 6 different electronic goodies. I can’t imagine what it would be like if he had to pay for all of them himself!)

18. November 24th, 2010 | 4:21 pm

Brilliant! An apps man to the core, eh? Me, I’m… well, just a pen and paper man. But hey, to each their own, right? Glad you’re back! :)

Tony Single’s last blog post..Clogger

19. November 24th, 2010 | 7:07 pm

@Naomi: Even though there are many things electronic at work, I rarely trip over them. They are on desks, you see.

@Tony: Actually I like pen and paper as well. They are… tangible.

November 24th, 2010 | 11:24 pm

Oh, I wish it were like that here. My dad has things with ‘piles’. He has about three desks, but with the printers, faxes, desktops, laptops, magazines, CDs, large floppies, diskettes… well, you can imagine the room fills up fast.

21. November 25th, 2010 | 4:35 am

Yeah, that’s the problem. What we have are cell phones, which, in this day and age, can’t take up that much space.

November 25th, 2010 | 5:34 am

True. Unless of course you include iPads too… What a tidy office you must work in :)