Laughing Myself Awake

So, I have been very busy working on an iPhone project for a client which should be submitted in the near future. And I am also doing some consulting on the side for another client. Work has been pretty busy for me. I have a few blog posts that I’ve been meaning to write but just don’t have time to get to them yet, but anyway, here’s a quick one.

Have you laughed yourself awake before? I have. Sometimes, I have dreams that are so funny that I wake up laughing. This has only happened to me three times before (as far as I can remember) but it’s really fun when it happened.

The first dream that cracked me up so much that I woke up laughing was set in China’s Ching dynasty. To give a little bit of a background, in ancient China, emperors kept eunuchs (castrated men) in their palace as servants. The idea was that they would not touch the emperor’s women. So, young emperors and princes that are still kids also had eunuchs that are also kids as playmates.

China was at war with a neighboring country/tribe (probably not historically accurate, by the way) and the really young emperor (still a kid) decided to lead the troop himself. As he gave the command, the two armies charged at each other and engaged in an epic battle, while he and his playmate watched from the sideline. Then the emperor turned to his playmate (also a kid) and said “Xiao ____ Ze (very common nickname for eunuchs), you go too.”

And the kid hopped on a little donkey, let out a battle cry, and charged toward the battlefield in slow motion. That imagery was somehow so hilarious to me that I laughed myself awake.

That was a fantastic experience.

The second time I laughed myself awake also involved the Ching Dynasty. Why the Ching Dynasty is so funny to me is another blog post. I am just going to describe the dream. So I was on a busy street with shops, street vendors, and people going up and down the street. Then a horse and carriage pulled up to the curb. Yes, there was a parking meter too. The person driving it then handed his keys to a valet guy. (Why were there keys? Beats me.) And then the valet guy took the horse and carriage to the back lot and proceeded to try to parallel park. He failed at it, epically. And then he tried to make three-point turns and back into the spaces too. But he just couldn’t do it. I woke up laughing because that was so hilarious to watch.

The third time happened more recently. It took place in modern times (finally). I was either getting interviewed or surveyed by a person. She had a clipboard with a long list of questions. I don’t recollect what we were talking about, but she asked “How would Confucius’ teaching influence your decision?” Somehow the idea of dragging Confucius into this discussion really tickled me. I totally cracked up when the question was asked and then I woke up laughing. I laughed so hard that tears came into my eyes. That made me want to cry… for half a second, then the thoughts of the Confucius question took over and made me crack up again, and I repeated that a few times.

So, conclusion:
1) Laughing myself awake is awesome.
2) I am weird and have weird dreams.
3) Somehow ancient China is very funny to me. I don’t know why. (Actually, I kinda know why Ching dynasty is so funny to me. I’ll write about that later.)

Have you laughed yourself awake before? What was your favorite dream?

Comments

1. March 6th, 2011 | 1:18 pm

I haven’t laughed myself awake, at least I don’t remember happening, but I had many weird dreams too. Once, many years ago, I had a very vivid dream, and it was weird but logic at the same time, so as soon as I woke up, I seated on the bed, grabbed paper and pen and started to write it all from the beginning. In about five minutes I had a tale about a group of friend in a trip to the coast, where they found out about the complexity of the human mind, and how it can be directed based on beliefs and fears. Weird but fun!

Alien Ghost’s last blog post..Back to the Net

2. March 6th, 2011 | 4:33 pm

Unfortunately, when I tried to write down my dreams, especially the ones that made so much sense, I started writing and becoming more and more awake in the process. Then I started to realize that the bits and pieces don’t fit together. And then I sort of try to smooth it out and justify it, but it just doesn’t work. I really wish I can just TiVo my dreams.

3. March 7th, 2011 | 6:04 pm

I especially like the second one — that would have had me laughing for sure! I’ve woken up a few times laughing, but I don’t remember the dreams. It’s the most awesome feeling though. :-)

4. March 7th, 2011 | 6:27 pm

I know. Totally awesome. :-D

5. March 7th, 2011 | 9:37 pm

I’ve never woken up laughing, crying, or screaming. My ex did say that once, I woke up swinging, though.

Katrina’s last blog post..5/90: It’s Hard!

6. March 7th, 2011 | 11:07 pm

Swinging? I wonder what the dream involves.

7. March 17th, 2011 | 10:25 am

Dreams have always fascinated me. I’ve never laughed myself awake, but I do often dream in vivid colors and remember the colors. It’s interesting that not everything in the dream in colored, just some things. I also once was struggling about a job and whether or not to stay. I woke one morning with the very clear message in my head, “It’s not over until the fat lady sings.” I often do wake with specific messages, but I can’t plan for this by making some kind of intention before I go to sleep. It happens or it doesn’t.

Another thing I occasionally do is dream in third person. I will be the observer in the dream. It feels like I’m telling myself a story.I suppose this comes from my writing, but it does create some interesting dreams.

I think I would enjoy waking up laughing after a dream. Thanks for sharing about your dreams. This is an interesting subject:~)

Sara’s last blog post..Blog Update

8. March 17th, 2011 | 2:35 pm

That is very interesting. I remember a few times that there had been a few times that I remembered very specific information about colors (like the one in which I saw a comet), but other times, I don’t remember whether it was in color or black and white. And I don’t often wake with specific messages. As you can see, I have bizarre dreams. :-D

Perhaps we are essentially writing in our dreams, since they do somewhat resemble what we write while awake.

9. March 22nd, 2011 | 11:24 am

Whoa, that sounds so awesome! Ancient China comedies! :)
    I have actually laughed my self asleep a couple of times. Something stupid happened during the day, had me laughing all day long, took it with me to my sleep, dreamed about it and then woke up laughing! It Usually involved someone falling and hurting themselves in an epic way (google this: captain video ladder). So, yes, i have laughed my self awake. :)

Tim E.’s last blog post..What the hell?!

10. March 22nd, 2011 | 11:07 pm

Hehe. Thanks for making me look it up.

11. October 6th, 2011 | 1:39 am

[…] dreams in which a bunch bizarre and somewhat amusing things happen. And a few times I actually woke up laughing because the dreams were so […]