Warning: include_once(/home/yotangy/puppetkaos.com/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-support/wordpress-support.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/yotangy/puppetkaos.com/wp-settings.php on line 268

Warning: include_once(): Failed opening '/home/yotangy/puppetkaos.com/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-support/wordpress-support.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php:/usr/local/php5/lib/pear') in /home/yotangy/puppetkaos.com/wp-settings.php on line 268
I am on TV! « Puppet Kaos - where Kelvin Kao plays with puppets and tell random stories

I am on TV!

Ah, that was fun.

The KTLA Morning News has this feature segment where they regularly send a reporter out to local events and establishments and broadcast from there. Two Fridays ago, they visited Puppet School! As Puppet School alumni, we got to be in the background with puppets as reporter Allie Mac Kay interviewed our teacher / master puppeteer Michael Earl. Though I had to wake up at 4am to be there for the news that’s live from 5 to 8am, it was a totally fun experience. And yes, Allie is like that on and off camera. One of the student in the background is a huge fan of KTLA Morning News and Allie, so she was so excited to be doing this.

We got a puppet version of the meteorologist Henry DiCarlo, and a puppet version of Allie. And many more puppets in the background. After several years of classes and three different stage productions, we’ve certainly accumulated quite a few puppets. I ended up grabbing a different one for each segment. (And they all happened to be green. I realized that just now.) You can see me as the camera panned across. You should be able to pick me out. I am the Asian one. Haha.

Click here to watch the videos on the KTLA Morning News site:
5am Segment
6am Segment
7am Segment

Comments

1. February 14th, 2012 | 6:48 am

It looks like you guys are having a total blast! I watched the 7 o’clock segment. Love the mohawk!

2. February 14th, 2012 | 12:54 pm

YEAH…I finally get to see you with the puppet group:~) I loved this. I watched the 5am segment, mainly because I would NEVER be up at that hour. I’m impressed with you. Loved the green guy with the floppy red hair and purple circles under his eyes. You weren’t so bad yourself:~)

Sara’s last blog post..Photo Challenge: The Face-Off

3. February 14th, 2012 | 1:47 pm

@Michelle: That one is indeed one of my favorite puppet. (And for many other people too.)

@Sara: Hehe. The three segments are pretty similar, but I probably had the most camera time on the 5am one, probably because I happened to have grabbed one of the bigger puppet there.

4. February 15th, 2012 | 12:46 pm

Kelvin, this is wonderful! It put a smile on my face. You were amazing when you were on camera. I can’t believe your instructor is the voice of Snuffy (that is SO awesome). I love Snuffy <3

Melissa Donovan’s last blog post..Poetry Prompts for Lovers

5. February 15th, 2012 | 6:25 pm

Michael Earl has quite a few credits. He was also the left hand of Cookie Monster. When I saw that he was teaching a class, I looked at the credits and thought “I’ve got to sign up!” I wouldn’t say that I am great at everything, but when I watched myself, I realized that all that training and performing experiences did help me develop certain instincts when I am in front of a camera or audience.

6. April 6th, 2012 | 10:39 am

Just checking in. How’s life? I know its keeping you busy. Are you getting to play very much. I bet the puppets miss you. I hope you have a wonderful weekend:~)
    Sara recently posted..Center of the SoulMy Profile

7. April 12th, 2012 | 12:05 am

Hi Sarah, thanks for swinging by even though there has been no post for a while! I shall write something soon.
    Kelvin Kao recently posted..I am on TV!My Profile

8. April 30th, 2012 | 1:23 am

Hello! I found your post through a comment you made in another blog.
    I watched the video with the song from the “Les Miserables”.I must say it was really nice.
    Congratulations!
    Jim Antoine recently posted..Minimum service fee announcementMy Profile

9. May 17th, 2012 | 6:33 am

Hey there!

I’m just passing by and wanted to say hello again. There’s no pressure for you to put something up or even to leave a reply. I just stop by every once in awhile to let you know I miss you, but I assume work must be keeping you very busy and so I understand the time away. I took my own break recently:~)
    Sara recently posted..See It to Believe ItMy Profile

10. May 26th, 2012 | 5:29 pm

Congrats! (I’m finally catching up to reading your blog again…) Nice to see morning TV hosts are just as weird there as they are here :)

You were good with the puppets. I found some of the other students weren’t so good with the eyeline, but you had your puppets looking right into the camera.

11. May 30th, 2012 | 12:34 am

I think they just weren’t paying as much attention to the camera as I did. I figured, hey, they are here to shoot something interesting. Let’s give them something interesting to shoot!

I think it’s always great to study Elmo’s World. He just wants all the attention and you can learn a lot by watching him play with the camera.
    Kelvin Kao recently posted..I am on TV!My Profile

12. June 2nd, 2012 | 7:44 pm

This is great stuff, Kelvin. I love how you bring the musical theater element into puppetry with the Les Miserables song — puppets seem to be having a renaissance with shows like Avenue Q, Team America, and so on (although those are not quite in the same style you do, it looks like :) ). Looking forward to more of your work.
    Chris Edgar recently posted..Steve’s Quest: The Story, Plus More Concept ArtMy Profile

13. June 6th, 2012 | 2:35 am

Yeah, and there’s the new Muppets movie. It seems to be making a comeback. I would love to see more of them.
    Thanks for dropping by!
    Kelvin Kao recently posted..I am on TV!My Profile

14. January 2nd, 2013 | 12:59 am

[…] Went on TV Was in the background as an alumnus while Puppet School was interviewed. […]

15. September 1st, 2014 | 4:57 am