Warning: include_once(/home/yotangy/puppetkaos.com/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-support/wordpress-support.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/yotangy/puppetkaos.com/wp-settings.php on line 268

Warning: include_once(): Failed opening '/home/yotangy/puppetkaos.com/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-support/wordpress-support.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php:/usr/local/php5/lib/pear') in /home/yotangy/puppetkaos.com/wp-settings.php on line 268
Jingle Bells! Merry Christmas! « Puppet Kaos - where Kelvin Kao plays with puppets and tell random stories

Jingle Bells! Merry Christmas!

Here’s a little “Merry Christmas” video from me. Enjoy!

Oh what fun it is to ride in a one-horse open sleigh, hey! 😀

PS. And this is the first high definition video I’ve posted publicly. I am very happy with how well it turned out!

Comments

1. January 1st, 2013 | 11:42 am

Are all the voices pitch-shifted versions of you? I love the way you customized the voice for each type of animal!
    Chris Edgar recently posted..Why I’ve Been Talking About MyselfMy Profile

2. January 1st, 2013 | 6:22 pm

Thanks, Chris!

There’s no pitch shifting. Mac and Cheese (yellow/orange) and Bobby (sheep) basically share the same voice, and Bottle Monster (blue) and Moostifer (cow) share another voice. The two voices are distinguished by the openness of the throat, I guess. For the two that share the same voice, I tried to have different mannerisms to make them slightly different. For the chorus, there’s also a falsetto voice layered on top of it.

There is some EQ, though. I just picked a preset called “male basic” from Garageband. I didn’t really look at what it actually does until just now. Apparently it adds a bass reduction (boosting higher resonances and reducing lower resonances), a compressor (which makes the softer parts louder and louder parts softer), and a small reverb. These are all minor tweaks that’s not as dramatic as a pitch change.
    Kelvin Kao recently posted..Jingle Bells! Merry Christmas!My Profile

3. January 2nd, 2013 | 5:45 pm

Kelvin, what a great little Christmas video. I’m sorry I didn’t see it before the holidays, congratulations!
    Andrew recently posted..Nothing to CelebrateMy Profile

4. January 2nd, 2013 | 7:25 pm

Thanks, Andrew! Happy new year as well.
    Kelvin Kao recently posted..Looking Back At 2012My Profile

5. January 3rd, 2013 | 12:16 pm

Kelvin — That was AMAZING! I’m going backwards now. I already visited your new year’s post.

I can’t believe how professional this video is. In all your free time, you consider a sideline of making puppet videos for special days — like birthdays, holidays, etc. People could subscribe to your new Puppet Celebration Day Videos site or buy them, instead of the online cards people send out. If you got enough people, you could even personalize the card.

Then again, I have NO idea of much time this video took to make. I just know it’s very well done and I enjoyed it immensely. I feel so lucky to visit the sites of creative talents, like yourself:~)
    Sara recently posted..Happy New YearMy Profile

6. January 3rd, 2013 | 2:03 pm

Sara, I’ve definitely been toying with ideas like those. In a way, this project is an experiment for both my hardware and my newly acquired skills. It’s a test project to see what can be possible down the line. :-)

I started the process on Thursday night, and finished it by Saturday morning (before I went to visit family for Christmas where I wouldn’t have fast enough internet to upload large files). So I guess that’s relatively fast. Then again, it could have taken longer if the puppets weren’t already built beforehand and some techniques weren’t already tested in experimental projects only seen by a few friends. Or it could have taken shorter if I didn’t run into a glitch in the software that I wasn’t able to isolate until I literally looked at the video frame by frame. (It’s interesting how, although you can’t possibly point out exactly what it is watching at regular speed, our eyes are capable of noticing that there is one frame that’s wrong that’s only on screen for 1/30 of a second. Isn’t that fascinating?)

So yeah, it’s sometimes hard to predicate exactly how long something would take.
    Kelvin Kao recently posted..Looking Back At 2012My Profile

7. January 8th, 2013 | 3:00 am

[…] Kelvin of Puppet Kaos was very busy in 2012. One of my favorite things he’s done lately is to create a HD puppet video Christmas card on YouTube. I didn’t even know they had high definition on YouTube. Check it out here. […]

8. December 27th, 2013 | 6:09 am

Hey,Kelvin….Great job and Merry Christmas!
    Ron Crowe

9. December 28th, 2013 | 12:07 am

Hi, Ron!

You found my website! Merry Christmas.
    Kelvin Kao recently posted..Merry Christmas! Deck the Halls!My Profile