Happy Valentine’s Day

Happy Valentine’s Day!

Here’s lyrics to a song that I performed at UCLA’s engineering school talent show back in 2005. I was the host, not a contestant, but I wanted to provide some entertainment in between. So I wrote this song, because what’s the problems with love songs nowadays? “Not enough science in those songs!”

I can’t find a recording, but here’s the lyrics for you:

Chemistry
by Kelvin Kao

You are a proton,
I am an electron.
Ever since I first met you,
I was so attracted to you.

You are always so positive,
compensating for my being negative.
We have such a strong bond,
you know I will always be around.

Oh, how I fell for you,
and it’s not just due to the gravity.
I want to be your one and only,
so a hydrogen atom we shall be.
(That’s one proton and one electron, get it?)

So please be my proton.
I will be your electron.
If someone asks, what’s between you and me,
I’ll tell them, it’s purely chemistry.

Comments

1. February 14th, 2013 | 3:50 pm

Aw, cute!! Love it! You’ll have to post a recording if you ever get one. :-)
    Michelle recently posted..A Tiny Touch of GraceMy Profile

2. February 14th, 2013 | 9:48 pm

I recorded one at some point but couldn’t find it anymore. I’ll make another one when I have time to do the instrumentals, which is pretty time consuming for me. These days I just don’t have that kind of time.

It will be recorded one day, though. Along with a music video. :-)
    Kelvin Kao recently posted..Happy Valentine’s DayMy Profile

3. February 14th, 2013 | 10:00 pm

I like the commentary about how “it’s one proton and one electron, get it?” I can imagine a Beaker-like puppet pointing to a blackboard or to a slide showing the relevant particles. This will, of course, involve puppets, right? Or will you make a live-action appearance?
    Chris Edgar recently posted..New Steve’s Quest ScreenshotsMy Profile

4. February 14th, 2013 | 10:11 pm

There will definitely be puppets. I have not decided on whether the main singer would be me or a puppet.

Either way, it’s probably not happening any time soon. Hehe.
    Kelvin Kao recently posted..Happy Valentine’s DayMy Profile

5. February 14th, 2013 | 10:11 pm

I also conveniently forget about neutrons.
    Kelvin Kao recently posted..Happy Valentine’s DayMy Profile

6. February 15th, 2013 | 11:07 am

LOL…..I LOVED THIS POEM. I think this is the first time I’ve seen a poem at your site and it’s really a good one. This would be fun with puppets, but can you make a proton and an electron as puppets? I’m not very . Well, I’m not at all scientific. I couldn’t even tell you what a proton looks like. Shame on me.

Still, do more of these. And this one was perfect for Valentine’s Day…well, actually the day after, but then, I think every day should be the day of love:~)
    Sara recently posted..Fiction: The Handmade CardMy Profile

7. February 15th, 2013 | 4:17 pm

Sara, I would call this lyrics since there was actually a melody set to it. Not that I know that much about poetry, hehe.
    Kelvin Kao recently posted..Happy Valentine’s DayMy Profile

8. February 19th, 2013 | 11:46 pm

Hey Kelvin, that was a very nice poem! I couldn’t avoid imagining a very romantic nerd expressing his true feelings to the love of his life. I would love to hear it with the music! :)

Alien Ghost recently posted..What If…My Profile

9. February 20th, 2013 | 11:44 pm

It shall happen. Don’t know when, but it shall happen.
    Kelvin Kao recently posted..Happy Valentine’s DayMy Profile