Marionette Workshop (Intermediate): Weeks 5, 6

Hello there! I’m back! There are actually many things to post about with various events going on, but first, the regular workshop series.

In Week 5, I skipped class to go to a Taiwanese puppet show. I’ve already uploaded the pictures and some videos. Will share them once I’m done writing the captions.

In Week 6, I arrived a little earlier than everyone else, so the teacher and I could go over what I missed in the previous week. However, we ended up chatting about the show I went to and also doing repairs on my puppet because a string came loose when I was doing a walkthrough of the dialogue piece. And there were some other strings hanging not quite right, so we ended up mostly fixing strings. But that meant I got some puppet repair tips.

For example, the teacher tied the string to the puppet first, and then to the controller. This way, she could get a feel of what length the string should be and how much tension was proper. That was the opposite of what I did when I attempted the repair once. Maybe that was why I couldn’t get it quite right. Also, she was able to hold the puppet with one hand and tie the string using another hand. That was certainly a good skill to acquire. Also she knotted the string several times and looped the string in opposite directions each time. Whether that actually helped? Not sure.

Once the other classmates came, we started doing the dialogue piece again. Each run was filmed, so we watched it, critiqued ourselves, and did it again several times. (Isn’t technology awesome?) The same stuff again: be more specific and intentional with each movement. At the end, we also ran through the song and dance piece again, but since we have been working on the dialogue piece the past two weeks, there was definitely some rust.

That concluded the intermediate marionette class. There might be videos online in the future (… eventually) but I will leave you with a sneak peek from the song and dance piece (from Pinocchio):

pinocchio_marionette

And the dialogue piece (from Batman):

batman_marionette

Comments

1. June 18th, 2013 | 6:27 pm

Hi Kelvin, I’m enjoying this series. Come to think of it, I would have liked “Batman Begins” much better if the dialogue between Batman and the Joker took place sitting on boxes of art supplies. And if the two characters were made of balsa wood.

2. June 19th, 2013 | 3:24 am

Ha! We didn’t have furnitures that size, so we just used boxes that were sitting around. When I looked at the video afterwards, I thought, “well, I kinda prefer this look, you know?” It’s more… whimsical that way. :-)
    Kelvin Kao recently posted..Marionette Workshop (Intermediate): Weeks 5, 6My Profile

3. June 25th, 2013 | 7:31 am

This looks so fun and joyful! And creative! It would be impossible to feel down while doing this, I’ll bet. :-)
    Michelle recently posted..A Perfectionist, Unprepared BrideMy Profile

4. June 25th, 2013 | 1:26 pm

You are correct, Michelle. :-D

5. July 1st, 2013 | 1:32 pm

Wow. You’re having fun. I can’t wait to see this all together. I liked how the “string” was fixed. That must be a challenge with Marionettes!

Hope your summer is going well:~)
    Sara recently posted..Life’s Pop QuizMy Profile

6. July 1st, 2013 | 6:40 pm

I guess it’s going well enough that I haven’t been posting much, eh? Will be back to posting soon! Hope yours is going well too! :-)

7. July 3rd, 2013 | 5:51 pm

Hi Kelvin

Looks like you’ve been busy but having fun! We’ll wait for the videos. The pictures you posted already make me want to see the action!

Alien Ghost recently posted..Fascination With CloudsMy Profile

8. July 4th, 2013 | 12:15 am

Video coming soon. :-)

9. July 5th, 2013 | 6:49 pm

I can’t wait to see what it looks like for a dialogue to happen between marionettes. I mean, the absence of a mouth on the figure really forces you to be creative in depicting talking, doesn’t it?

10. July 5th, 2013 | 11:38 pm

It’s mostly done through postures and gestures. :-)