Marionette video – Scene from Batman

So, earlier I mentioned that we were doing a dialogue piece with marionettes. Well, here it is – a scene from the 1966 Batman movie.

To give you a little bit of background (since all these puppets look the same), this is the scene where Catwoman, Riddler, Joker, and Penguin are discussing how to set up a trap to get Batman. Catwoman is not shown in this video (since she has few lines) but she is assumed to be sitting a seat with her back to the camera. From left to right, you have Riddler (Toby Rogers), Joker (Farah Griffin) and Penguin (yours truly).

There might be some confusions watching this video since all the puppets look the same, and they all have crazy cartoonish villain voices. Still fun to watch though!

Of course, watching it closely, there are still things that I can pick on, particularly my own part. Not necessarily because I am the most harsh on myself, but because I know my part best. There’s definitely parts where I should’ve been more still when my character wasn’t talking, and I should’ve landed the feet and butt better when the puppet is standing up and sitting down. But overall, I thought we did great for the limited time we spent rehearsing. There’s always room for improvement, of course.

Next level of classes begin this weekend. I’m looking forward to it. 😀

Comments

1. July 10th, 2013 | 12:51 pm

Oh, this was great. I’m amazed at what you did with the puppets. It was truly wonderful and I got into the story. You have such a gift for this. You make it seem real, even though I know I’m watching wooden puppets on strings:~) Great job and THANK YOU for sharing the video. I love your videos and seeing what you’ve created.
    Sara recently posted..Finding Your Way HomeMy Profile

2. July 10th, 2013 | 2:14 pm

Glad you liked it. And as always, thank you for the encouragement! 😀
    Kelvin Kao recently posted..Marionette video – Scene from BatmanMy Profile

3. July 12th, 2013 | 12:19 pm

I can see how there’s so much subtlety involved in the way you move the heads and arms — there are different velocities of head bobbling for talking and laughing, for instance. Great stuff.

4. July 12th, 2013 | 12:47 pm

And some movements are not intentional. Hehe.
    Kelvin Kao recently posted..Marionette video – Scene from BatmanMy Profile

5. July 25th, 2013 | 2:51 pm

As you mentioned, there’s always room for improvement, but still I’m amazed at the so many subtle movements of hands, arms, legs, head, etc and how they are all combined to represent the talking! It was really easy to forget that they were puppets and get into the story itself while watching three people discussing a plan.

Great job from all the puppeteers involved! Congratulations.

Alien Ghost recently posted..Enemies at WorkMy Profile

6. July 26th, 2013 | 12:30 am

Let me assure you that some of the movements weren’t intended by the puppeteers. Sometimes the marionettes have minds of their own! :-)
    Kelvin Kao recently posted..Marionette video – Scene from BatmanMy Profile

7. Naomi
    February 17th, 2014 | 3:48 am

That was really good. I’m erm, surprised, that the movements were so expressive from a group who are students. (Advanced all the same) I was expecting a lot more ‘doll wiggling’ as they say, but the video showed far less of that and far more stillness, appropriate gestures and was quite believable.

8. February 17th, 2014 | 8:51 pm

It’s not perfect but we are not clueless either! 😀 Yay for us.
    Kelvin Kao recently posted..Merry Christmas! Deck the Halls!My Profile