Me + Her (AKA “Cardboard”)

Want to see something really cool? How about a film where the entire world (characters and sceneries) were made of cardboard?

MeHer

Click on the link to the film (11 minutes long) that was accepted into Sundance, and is now part of The Short List Film Festival:

Yes, I helped out a little bit on this (you can see my name in the credits among a big list of puppeteers).

Last year, my friend Keiko sent me a message telling me that she had signed on to be the lead puppeteer in a cool project named Cardboard. She would need additional puppeteers for some more elaborated scenes and said it would be great to have my help. Of course, I said yes. Later, she sent me some pictures of the characters and set pieces, all constructed out of cardboard. I was really impressed by how good they looked and the attention to detail.

Although what I did only showed up in the film for several seconds (a mouth movement here, a hand movement there, etc.), it was just nice to be involved with a cool project and work with fellow puppeteers (many of whom old friends). I will write about this experience later, but for now, enjoy the film!

PS. Oh yeah, I haven’t posted in like eight months. For the first half of the year, I was very busy working on major overhaul of an iPhone app that needed to be wrapped up before Apple’s big WWDC conference. But really, blogging just hadn’t been my top priority. And it looks like lots of communications and discussions just take place on social media now. But hey, I still like blogging and will still post here. So for the two (?) of you that’s still reading this blog, well… Hi!

Comments

1. August 20th, 2014 | 12:55 pm

First of all, it’s very nice to have a post from you pop up in my reader. I loved the video, but I will tell the link you’ve given in your post didn’t work for me. Nothing was there. Your link is right. It’s just not finding the site when I click on it.

However, I looked up the film festival and found the film. It was beautifully done. A bit sad, but still hopeful. I’m amazed how well it was put together and the puppetry involved. OMG all I want to do is say Wow! You are lucky to be part of this.

I have missed you very much, but I know the time blogging takes up. You’ve got a life and a rather hectic job. So, bottom line for me is post when you can and/or want to. I’ll always stop by and see what you’ve got to say.
    Sara recently posted..Tweet, Tweet Said the BirdieMy Profile

2. August 21st, 2014 | 4:58 am

Thank you for your continual support, Sara. I appreciate it, very much. :-)

There are two kinds of project I work on. First kind is when I’m the lead and bringing a vision to fruition. Second kind is when I’m there to help out on something interesting and hang out with puppeteer friends while at it. This is the latter case. The production value was quite amazing. And it was put together by a bunch of volunteers, basically, working on it for the love it. I’m lucky to have the opportunity.

PS. The link has been fixed.
    Kelvin Kao recently posted..Me + Her (AKA “Cardboard”)My Profile

3. September 4th, 2014 | 10:57 am

I send the same message to you about continued support. Thank you…especially for your latest comment on The Mysterious Case of the Missing Aliens. Your story was so GREAT. I try not to focus on one person, but in your case, I have to say how impressed I was. The story you wrote was good on its own merit; it didn’t need the pictures. I laughed so hard at how clever your writing was. It was well done, my friend. Seriously, you might consider doing some science fiction writing…it was THAT good.

Anyway, thank you for the story comment. It was very much appreciated:~)
    Sara recently posted..The Mysterious Case of the Missing AliensMy Profile

4. September 22nd, 2014 | 9:23 pm

That’s awesome to hear, Kelvin! I hope your software engineering schedule opens up to allow further puppeteering, as it sounds like there are a lot of opportunities for you in doing it — not to mention being able to fit accepting awards at Sundance into your schedule, right? Looking forward to hearing more about your work!

5. September 23rd, 2014 | 2:58 am

Sara, thank you. It was a prompt that already had a bunch of details, that it took a lot more effort to actually fit those into the wacky story I came up with, so that every piece was explained. It was an even more interesting challenge that way!

I wouldn’t necessarily called what I wrote “science fiction”, since there wasn’t much science in it. It was more like one of my favorite show of all time, Futurama. It has some elements familiar to science fiction, but they often provide an explanation for how things work by basically having the mad scientist characters say some stuff that doesn’t really make sense. And I love that. 😀
    Kelvin Kao recently posted..Me + Her (AKA “Cardboard”)My Profile

6. September 23rd, 2014 | 3:00 am

Chris, now that I’ve had a very busy first half of the year, followed by several months of not doing very much and just taking it easy, perhaps it’s time to do more puppeteering stuff again! Seems to me that you have been pretty busy yourself!
    Kelvin Kao recently posted..Me + Her (AKA “Cardboard”)My Profile