Warning: include_once(/home/yotangy/puppetkaos.com/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-support/wordpress-support.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/yotangy/puppetkaos.com/wp-settings.php on line 267

Warning: include_once(): Failed opening '/home/yotangy/puppetkaos.com/wp-content/plugins/wordpress-support/wordpress-support.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php:/usr/local/php5/lib/pear') in /home/yotangy/puppetkaos.com/wp-settings.php on line 267
My Puppetry Reel! « Puppet Kaos - where Kelvin Kao plays with puppets and tell random stories

My Puppetry Reel!

I just cut together my puppetry reel!

A reel is what people put together to showcase their (hopefully) best work. Some people even have multiple reels for different aspects of their expertise. For example, an actor might have a dramatic reel, comedic reel, and a reel for commercials. Someone that works several behind-the-scenes jobs might have a reel for cinematography, another for color correction, and yet another for editing.

So what should I have? A puppetry reel, of course!

Please enjoy the video. Your feedback is welcome, whether you think it’s good or bad. It would either make me feel good, or help me improve! 😀

Comments

1. Naomi
    June 4th, 2015 | 12:37 am

Some of the transitions are a bit awkward, mainly where there’s music. I love the opening song but it’s so upbeat that the rest of the video kind of drags. Having said that I like the mix of the clips themselves. And that cardboard puppet thing – I haven’t seen it before. Is it on the web to watch somewhere? I’d like to see it, it looked good.

(So I guess the reel worked. I want to see more)

2. June 4th, 2015 | 7:24 pm

I debated whether to put the Christmas one in, since it’s probably the lowest one in terms of production quality. In the end, I decided to put it in because I wanted to end on something more upbeat, and also to have more Muppet-style puppets since that seems to be what many projects would call for. I was aiming for having the reel to be about two minutes long. With the slate and contact information stuff, that means each clip has to be cut down to about 20 seconds. So I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s some awkward transitions, though there’s certainly room for improvement.

You can watch the full cardboard video here:
    Kelvin Kao recently posted..My Puppetry Reel!My Profile

3. Naomi
    June 9th, 2015 | 5:47 am

I like the Christmas one because it’s fun and silly – and you can always ‘blame’ the quality on the film maker or builder. 😉 (Hey, it said ‘puppeteer’ not editor, cameraman, or anything else!)

I think transition-wise I meant the fading. Some cross-fades of music/image might have helped soften the awkwardness a bit.

OMG, the cardboard video is GORGEOUS!! So good, and I’m going to have to watch it like 5 times so I can see how they do everything. I thought all of the actions of the puppets were great, the tears, the mouth and blinking eyes… How big were the puppets? And if there’s a behind-the-scenes blog post somewhere, let me know I’d love to see it.

4. June 17th, 2015 | 12:33 am

You can see some behind-the-scenes stuff on their official website.

I also have some pictures that I might post… whenever I got around to it.
    Kelvin Kao recently posted..My Puppetry Reel!My Profile

5. Naomi
    June 17th, 2015 | 2:40 am

Thanks for the link. Their fact sheet is really interesting – so many paper cuts! Also, artists spend a lot of time in unpaid man hours making stuff. :(

I’d love to see your pics!

6. Naomi
    June 17th, 2015 | 2:45 am

I should have looked at the gallery before commenting… wow, that’s an amazing. The amount of detail on the puppets and set is ridiculous!

7. July 17th, 2015 | 8:27 am

YEAH FOR YOU!!!

I loved every clip, but you need to make another one with some of your older videos, as well. I’ve seen a lot of them and laughed so much through them. You have a wonderfully wacky sense of humor that always make me laugh. You are a very talented and gifted man, Kelvin:~)
    Sara recently posted..Time AwayMy Profile

8. July 30th, 2015 | 1:57 am

Sarah, this reel is cut together partly to show that I’ve worked on various projects with different teams. So I even debated whether to include that clip from the Christmas video at the end. That’s why I didn’t really include the older stuff. I will write about the process of cutting this reel together later. :-)
    Kelvin Kao recently posted..My Puppetry Reel!My Profile

9. August 20th, 2015 | 7:57 am

Great stuff, Kelvin — and what a unique talent to have too. I hope it gets you lots of puppeteering gigs.

10. August 26th, 2015 | 12:45 am

Thank you, Chris! I will explain why I made this reel in a future post.
    Kelvin Kao recently posted..My Puppetry Reel!My Profile